Have you ever thought to make your own edibles? Edibles derived from Cannabis are available from many resources, but make no mistake about it, just like any other ingredient, you can use Cannabis to make your own foods, and you do not have to be a high-end chef to do it. Baking cannabis cookies is a great place to begin your introduction to cooking with Cannabis. We have compiled a few tips to get you started, along with top Cannabis cookie recipes everyone is talking about.
Tips for Baking with Cannabis
Activation is Necessary
Baking with Cannabis requires a similar preparation to yeast, and Cannabis must be activated through a process called Decarboxylation. Failure to complete this process will not promote potency in your final cookie product. Decarboxylating Cannabis converts THCA that is naturally on Cannabis plants to THC, the substance that actually brings about the effects of Cannabis we enjoy. Sometimes, this happens during the baking process, but it is much more beneficial to bake the Cannabis slightly to toast it to ensure THCA is properly converted.
If you have ever experienced edibles that were bitter in flavor, it was likely due to a fine grind of the Cannabis flower. A coarse grind is recommended as it limits the bitter taste. It is often best to chop Cannabis by hand and not use a coffee grinder or food processor.
Always Measure Everything
As with all forms of baking, measuring every ingredient is essential. Although you may be tempted to put more Cannabis in your recipe than is recommended, remember baking is more about science than simply throwing everything together. Baking anything, even Cannabis cookies, requires careful management of measurements within the recipe.
Allow Dough to Rest
One of the pitfalls that many aspiring bakers make when trying to bake cookies is becoming overzealous in the process. Once the cookie dough is made, they want to simply shape cookies and throw them in a hot oven. However, it is far more beneficial to allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour and, in some cases, overnight to allow butter to firm up again and for gluten to relax within the dough. Skipping this step will deprive your cookies of the necessary structure to make them look like real cookies, and your cookies will fall flat and spread out across the baking sheet.
Top cannabis cookies recipes
|All-Purpose Flour||2 Cups||250g||16oz|
|Baking Soda||½ Teaspoon|
|Vanilla Extract||1 Tablespoon|
|White Sugar||1/3 Cup||40g||1.5oz|
|Melted Butter (unsalted)||¾ Cup||95g||6oz.|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup||125g||8oz.|
|Chocolate Chips||½ Cup||2.25g||4oz.|
- Preheat Oven to 325 degrees F (125C)
- Mix dry ingredients, flour, salt, baking soda, and Cannabis in large bowl. Set aside.
- Use another large bowl to mix butter, white sugar, brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until creamy in appearance.
- Slowly begin folding dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Once all are incorporated and the mixture is smooth, fold in chocolate chips.
- Allow dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Drop cookies onto greased baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
This recipe calls for Cannabis butter. Basically, you will need 1 ¼ cups of real butter and ½ once or 14 grams of Cannabis. Place ingredients in a slow cooker on low for approximately 6 hours. The infusion process will take time, but the result is smooth-infused butter ideal for baking. At the end of cooking, strain your butter through a cheesecloth and allow it to solidify in the refrigerator before use.
|Cannabis Butter||½ Cup||65g||4oz.|
|White Sugar||½ Cup||65g||4oz.|
|Brown Sugar||½ Cup||65g||4oz.|
|Peanut Butter||½ Cup||65g||4oz.|
|All Purpose Flour||1 ¼ Cup||155g||10oz|
|Baking Soda||¾ Teaspoon|
|Baking Powder||½ Teaspoon|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- Mix dry ingredients together, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy.
- Add egg and peanut butter and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Slowly begin adding dry ingredient. Do not overmix.
- Allow dough to rest in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Shape cookies into small balls and press with a fork to have the classic crisscross pattern of peanut butter cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly brown around the edges and cool for at least a few minutes before eating.
|Quick Cooking Oats||3 Cups||375 g||16.5 oz.|
|All Purpose Flour||2 Cups||250g||16 oz.|
|Cannabis Butter||1 Cup||125g||8 oz.|
|White Sugar||1 Cup||125g||8 oz.|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup||125g||8 oz.|
|Ground Cinnamon||1 ½ Teaspoon|
|Vanilla Extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking Soda||1 Teaspoon|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- Cream Cannabis butter and sugars together.
- Beat in egg one at a time to incorporate properly and add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients, all-purpose flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Begin incorporating dry ingredients to wet until everything is just combined.
- Allow resting for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Drop cookies onto a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the edges of the cookies are brown.
- Cool on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes.
Note: Add-ins for this recipe can be a cup of raisins or chocolate chips, depending on your preference.