According to regulators, the Las Vegas marijuana lab, CANNEX Nevada LLC is to blame for approving these contaminated products. Due to this occurrence, state regulators have shut down the lab awaiting further reviews into its practices.
After allegedly finding several contaminated cannabis products on the shelves of various Las Vegas dispensaries, State officials went ahead to issue a health warning.
On December 28, the Nevada Department of Taxation confirmed that it had performed further tests on different cannabis products in the market. In their report. Four products tested positive for harmful bacteria or fungi.
Results from the tests done by state regulators indicate that there is more than triple the amount of mold and yeast in products, Lemon Meringue and OG #3. Additionally, they discovered another form of fungus, aspergillus flavus, in the THC Bomb. Total coliforms and bile-tolerant, gram-negative bacteria were also discovered in zombie kush.
Regulators believe that the affected cannabis originated from ACC Enterprises LLC, Nevada Group Wellness LLC, and Integral Cultivation LLC.
Nonetheless, the report suggests that the Department of Taxation is convinced that the dispensaries and cultivators did not know that the products were unfit for sale. The public is advised not to use these products until the matter is resolved.
Anyone with a compromised immune system is most at-risk for various illnesses caused by these contaminated products. For now, no illness case has been reported.
How It Happened
The contaminated marijuana products are believed to have been sold in the form of a flower and pre-rolls sometime between October 5, 2019, and December 27, 2019. The products were sold at the following places:
- Nevada Holistic Medicine LLC dba MMJ America, 4660 S Decatur Blvd, Las Vegas
- Cheyenne Medical LLC dba Thrive Cannabis Marketplace, 2755 W Cheyenne Ave Ste 103, North Las Vegas
- Nevada Wellness Center dba Nevada Wellness Center, 3200 S Valley View Blvd, Las Vegas
- GTI Nevada LLC dba Rise, 135 Clearview Dr. Suite 119, Carson City
- Paradise Wellness Center dba Las Vegas Releaf, 2244 Paradise Rd, Las Vegas
- Deep Roots Medical LLC dba Deep Roots Harvest, 195 Willis Carrier Canyon, Mesquite
How To Detect Contaminated Marijuana
All marijuana packagings come with a lot and batch number located around the top just below the facility information. Regulators advise that marijuana consumers should look for the following:
- Lemon Meringue (F3D19LemonMeringue053019/1A40403000002A5000046114)
- Zombie Kush (082119B56/ABZK02)
- Island OG #3 (batch/lot: F1D19IslandOG3051619/1A40403000002A5000042651)
- THC Bomb (THC BOMB-10-19-2019-H251/256-BUD-A)
All the other products supplied by CANNEX Nevada LLC will soon be tested by a third independent testing laboratory. The independent lab will work with MED staff oversight.